Friday, February 25, 2011

Crazy Winter 2011!!

Hey everyone! I just wanted to take a minute to document the Crazy Winter Storm of 2011, because I know that 10 years from now, people won't believe that the entire DFW area shut down for 4 days!! And I took some hilarious pictures of Preston that I wanted to post!

So it started in the EARLY morning hours of Tuesday February 1st: it sleeted for around 3 hours straight! We awoke that morning to 1.5-2.0 inches of ice on ALL of the roads in the area! Schools were cancelled throughout the metroplex (which means no work for me) and most business shut dow. I was somewhat excited about the idea of having a day off of work. I had no idea that it was the beginning of being locked in my house for almost 4 straight days!

On Wednesday, schools were still cancelled and David's office was still closed so he worked from home for the second day in a row. We did venture out Wednesday night to meet some friends for dinner because I was already going stir-crazy!

On Thursday, schools were still closed (which meant a one-day work week for me), but David did pack up and head to work on Thursday. I guess I should make a point of saying that even though there had been no precipitation since Tuesday morning, nothing was melting because it didn't get above 20 degrees until Saturday!

So overnight Thursday to Friday, DFW was blessed with 6-8 inches of snow ON TOP of the ice that was still covering the roads. So again, schools were cancelled! BUT, I had a continuing education course down in the Medical District at UTSW, so I left the house a little before 6 Friday morning to make it down there at 6:55 (the course was supposed to start at 7). A coworker of mine had called all morning to find out if it was cancelled--because EVERYTHING was shut down again--but no one answered. I checked my email after pulling into the parking lot, only to find an email sent at 6:57 saying that the 7:00 course was cancelled for the day. I was NOT happy. It took me another hour to drive back home and when I got home, there was another email saying that they were actually going to start at 11:00 that day. Needless to say, I didn't make another trip down there. So Friday was a beautiful day of peace, quiet, and snow in the metroplex. By Saturday afternoon, the temperatures had risen to the mid-40's and the sun was out so everything was much better by that afternoon!

It was a crazy, fun, adventurous week and other than exhausting my PTO supply, it was kind of fun! I'll leave you with some pictures:
A cute little bird in the tree:
Snow Ice Cream on Friday--YUMM!!
Snow the berries in the backyard:
Preston couldn't hold back the terrier in himself so he kept sniffing the snow which meant a face that often looked like this:
Super Preston!!!
Mom, it's in my eyes!!!
Preston The Ferocious LOVES the snow!!

Thanks for reading everyone!! Hope you all had some adventures during the crazy winter storm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment